|Posted on March 15, 2014 at 4:10 PM||comments (1)|
Maintenance tips to protect your home against plumbing problems.
- Check Faucets for drips or leaks.Make repairs to save water.
- Ensure that all drains have strainers to prevent hair,soap and debris from clogging drains.
- Inspect tank and bowl for cracks or leaks.
- Check toilets for hidden leaks, add 6 drops of food coloring to your tank.If the toilet is leaking , color will appear in the bowl within 30 minutes.
- Operate water supply valves under sinks and toilets to prevent them from sticking.
- Clean mineral deposits from shower head . Unscrew it and soak in vinegar or fill a plastic baggie with vinegar, place it over the shower head and hold it in place with a rubber band . Soak overnight then remove and gently scrub with an old toothbrush to remove deposits.
- Make sure toilets flush properly. If the handle must be held down for a thorough flush or jiggled to stop the water from running you may need to worn tank parts.
- Check the temperature setting on the water heater. It should be set no higher than 120 degrees F to prevent scalding and reduce energy use.
- Carefully drain several gallons from the water heater tank to flush out corrosion causing sediment,which reduces heating efficiency and shortens the life of the heater.